Sunday, March 28, 2010

Have surfer tattoo = you better surf

Tattoos are the coolest thing ever. To have a tattoo means that you are totally hardcore. Nobody can dare question your commitment. You put your money down, steeled your courage and actually went through with it. I was thoroughly convinced of all of these things about 18 years ago. I also wanted everyone who met me to associate the awesome coolness of surfing with yours truly. Well, to make it happen, I took an image out of a surfing mag and 'stylized' it. It was a black & white cartoon image of a surfer taken from a Surfline ad. Then I made up a fictional company that sounded cool (cuz I was going to fashion T-shirts/hoodies/surf clothes and be famous/rich) and put my new 'logo' needle deep on my right arm/shoulder. It was the coolest thing ever. It was 'SLAM BROS SURF!'



Now, I've barely ever surfed. I do some windsurfing, but it's not the same. I've only tried real, actual surfing a couple of times while on vacation and I never really did get the hang of it. But, as a part of the 'don't let your children see how lame you are' approach that I now have, I am committing myself to getting some decent rides in this summer.

You simply cannot live out your life with a surf tattoo on your arm and not be able to surf. So, this summer I will be spending 2 weeks down in North Carolina.

First thing I'm going to do is pick up a nice longboard/funboard like this:


And then go out on this stuff and, you know, stand up on the thing...

No comments:

Post a Comment