Sunday, March 28, 2010

So what's this talk about skateboarding?

Yeah, unlike a lot of folks I don't discriminate based on skater vs bmxer. Whatever. I think they're both cool. Always have. I bought the boys some kick-ass skateboards last summer for their birthdays and I pulled my skateboard out as well.



So, after no skateboarding for 20 years or so, I decided to go out in front of the house with the kids and see just how foreign riding a skateboard had become. I specifically wanted to see if I could ollie. If I couldn't ollie it would be a pretty big indicator of things to come. So, with the kids circling me on tricycles and their little bikes, I went out and tried a couple of ollies.

I found that I could actually get the board off the ground. Not just off the ground, but I could probably ollie a recycle box if I needed to. This was unexpected. Most unexpected. I told my wife to run and grab the video camera. I was motivated. Over the next few days I went online and found some tips on kickflips and heelflips.
After clearing some space in my garage, I set up the video camera to help me analyze what I was doing wrong or right. (You know, just like the pros do to unlock the secret mechanics of the perfect golf swing.) The first time I did this I actually managed to land a heelflip. (Something that I didn't know how to do 20 years ago. Which is really weird.) It wasn't pretty. It wasn't stylish. Actually, it looked pretty awful and only by freeze-frame can I actually prove that the board leaves the ground, but hey, I don't know any other 38 year olds at my office that can heelflip.
So, in case I never land another one, here is the video proof.


(My 7 year old picked the music. I had an old Cake song picked out, but my 7 year old told me it was lame and specifically requested Red Flag by Billy Talent.)

I have a list a of tricks that I'm going to try and learn. Any tips on these tricks will be greatly appreciated.
shove-it
kickflip
heelflip
varial kickflip
50/50 and 5-0 grind

Next summer once the halfpipe is done, I'm going to try and learn to ride that.

No comments:

Post a Comment