Sunday, March 28, 2010

Personally, I prefer a big back yard.

Since we live in 'the sticks', (within city limits, but just barely), I have 2.5 acres on which to play around with. The BMX track will be inside our treeline and will weave in and out of the trees. It also has a nice little downslope which will help. The only major problem is that there is a lot of poison ivy. I've been getting rid of the poison ivy by digging it up and making jumps out of it. If you have a better idea, I'd like to hear it.
I started digging the track back in 2006 when my oldest was only 3. It didn't see much use and I pretty much only had a double jump and table started. The best comment so far was when one of my new neighbours asked me point blank "Don't you have anything better to do?" Thanks neighbour. Go mow your lawn.

Here's what it looked like:


My 3 year old son makes them look a little bigger than they are. The jumps are about 3.5' tall.



Last summer, I decided to get the shovel out again and start digging. Here is the current state of 'the dirt track':

No more double jumps. Too hard for kids. There are now two table-tops and a few twisty berms.


The second table top is around 8' wide and has two separate take-offs with a shared landing. Note the 'coping' on the smaller lip. It seems to really help my 7 year old learn when to pull up.


Here is a little berm that is just beginning to be built up. All that grass in the middle will be shovelled out and piled into the berm.



I've pretty much exhausted the 'dig and move' approach as I started to hit some rock patches. This summer, I will order up some dumptruck loads of dirt and build it proper.



I'll keep posting up pics of the progression of the jumps/dirt track. If you have any cool ideas, let me know. I am toying with the idea of building up a big dirt spine jump or maybe even a dirt bowl?

1 comment: