Sunday, March 28, 2010

What kind of kid's bike did I buy?



Well, after much research, my bike of choice for the BMXperiment of 2010 will be a We The People Envy. I sought out opinions and this bike seems like it should fit the bill as a dirtjumper/park bike. (I'll replace the WTP official photo that you see here with an actual photo of my bike when I pick it up this week.)

But after further research, it appears that riding a factory complete makes you less cool. Since I don't want to dilute the process, I've decided to customize the bike a little bit. I'm swapping out the bars and fork for Odyssey components. From what I've read, Odyssey components are quite trendy and sure to make the bike appear even cooler. If this doesn't work and I don't progress quickly enough, I'll just buy a custom frame and consider going brakeless. If I can't decide, I'll seek out opinions on a PinkBike forum to reconfirm the rules of cool.

Seriously though, I just thought the new white forks/bars would look trick. Yes, I'm shallow. Don't judge me!

Here's a list of the components:

FRAME: Envy 2.0 Full Sanko CrMo, 20.75"TT / 13.22"CS / 75°HT
FORK: Odyssey Classic Race
BARS: Odyssey Aaron Ross Spacebars
GRIPS: wethepeople "All Day Grips" Mike Brennan signature
STEM: wethepeople "Supreme" Stem
HEADSET: Salt Int. Headset sealed bearing
LEVER: éclat "Swift" Brakelever
BRAKES: éclat "Unit" U-brake
CRANKS: éclat "Tibia" 2pc Crank
BB: Salt Mid Size BB sealed bearing
PEDALS: éclat "Surge" PC Pedals
CHAIN: Salt Half-link Chain
SPROCKET: wethepeople "Supreme Sprocket" 25T
DRIVER: 9T 1-piece cassette driver, sealed bearing
FRONT HUB: Salt PRO Bolt sealed 3/8´s 36H, female axle, alloy cones
REAR HUB: Salt Cassette 9T sealed bearing / polymer bearing
FRONT RIM: éclat “Bondi“ double wall rim welded 36H, convex sidew.
REAR RIM: éclat “Bondi” double wall rim welded 36H, straight sidew.
SEAT: éclat "Gonzo" Pivotal Seat
SEAT POST: éclat "Torch" Pivotal Seatpost, 3D forged alloy, 75mm
SEAT CLAMP: integreated slim steel seatclamp
TIRES: wtp "Feelin" 2.25" front / wtp "Feelin" 2.1" rear
WEIGHT: 10.18kg (22.443lb) <- this should be about right with the lighter fork/bars and with the brakes added.


Here is what I was riding back in the good old days:
Redline RL-20 in Radberry with chrome stays. Sweet. Circa 1986. It could use a longer seatpost though...

No comments:

Post a Comment